Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Temporary Fame

There is one brief period of time in the year where if I squint just right I can almost imagine what it would be like to be famous. My school mails letters home towards the end of each school year letting kids know who their teacher will be next year. This year they mailed them home last Thursday which means kids received them over the weekend. For the last few days I have been walking through the halls so whispers of , "I think that's her.... That's Ms. Galyean..." Every time I pass a 4th grade class.

I have to admit it is kind of cool. I mean when else do people get excited to see me? On the other hand it puts me at a decided disadvantage as I really have not a clue who they are. I have seen the list and all, but the names don't mean anything. And trust me if the names do mean something. It isn't usually in a good way. It is usually in an oh-please-don't-let-me-get-that-one way. I have taken to calling them all sweetie, so they don't get sad that I don't know them.

Still it is cool though. You know, I am a public school teacher, so I have to enjoy the small things. There is only so much joy you can find in the recycled art projects they make you in art class. Trust me- no matter what they do to it- a toilet paper tube is still a toilet paper tube. And
you better just pray those art teachers pull that unit out in May, or your stuck with that thing cluttering up you classroom for months!

1 comment:

  1. Are they trembling with fear when they see you? I think I would like that. Be afraid, little sweeties, be afraid.

    ReplyDelete