Monday, June 15, 2009

The Last Day

I finished my last contract day today. It is always a mixed feeling. As all teachers know, I'm not really done. I am only done with working with in the confines of the schedule. I am moving classrooms. So after the custodial staff gets the cleaning done, I will have to go in early in August and shift things from one room to another. I will have to ready the summer letter to students to be mailed with the summer mailing. I will go in to check the supplies I ordered for next year and to set up my classroom. I will also need to meet with my teammate and grade level over the summer to plan out what we will teach and when.

It will look a little different next year as Joyce and I are loosing our other teammate Paul. He is being shifted up to the middle school. We are all really sad about that. He is one of my few guy friends. He is married to my good friend Alyssa. Alexa and his son Brady are only a few months apart, and we all enjoy hanging out. I loved having him teach next door to me. We get along really well. I will still work closely with some great people. It isn't the same as popping next door and laughing over something or venting about an issue.

We will all adjust as is always the case with these things, and we will make it work. In this day and age with so many good teachers loosing their jobs due to budget cuts. We all need to be grateful for still being able to provide for our families and do something we enjoy.


Summer break is much needed to regain your emotional balance. This job can be very draining. You are involved very deeply with families. Some are wonderful to work with and some have so much hurt and pain in them; it can drain your energy to be in it daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment