Friday, June 12, 2009

Flowers and the beauty of sarcasm

So I got to work today and readied myself for the 7:55 onslaught that results from the ever so charming announcement of, "All students please report to your classrooms." Now today is special, different, unique.. you get the idea... today is the last day of school (for students). Which means they hit the classroom door with more than a little gusto. It also means that some of them arrive bearing presents. This is always a sweet gesture from parents and children to say thank you for all the effort you put in to the job of teaching their child. Some children, of course, require a little more effort than others.

Now one of my students, a sixth grade boy, arrived carrying flowers. He thrust the bouquet at me and announced, "Here Ms. Galyean, it wasn't my idea."

I should pause here and tell you that for those of you who don't know me, (can't imagine why you would read this if you don't, but I digress) I am a sarcastic wise ass. My students know this and, quite frankly, it is part of my classroom management. It keeps their attention and keeps them on their toes. That said I could not let this moment pass by. I placed my hand on my heart, closed my eyes, and said, "Well, let me just take a moment to let those heart felt words sink in. Be still my heart with the overwhelming joy that has been our two years together." We went on to have what I affectionately call our teachable moments where I give them pointers on etiquette. Oh yeah they love that stuff- you can just imagine.

The day did progress rather uneventfully. Leaving me with a little energy when I got home for a short run. I decided to stop at the end and sit on the rocks at Waterfront Park and enjoy the warm weather and sunshine. I haven't run much over the last few weeks. Just a few miles here and there. That is pretty normal for me after a race. I cut it back quite a bit. I have run enough marathons to know that even though my sore muscles go away; I still have deep tissue healing to do. I will begin my regular running this weekend.

With next week being the first week of summer vacation it also means running with the jogger. Summer means almost full time parenting for me 24 hours a day 7 days a week. In order to get a run in I need to use my double jogger. I mentioned this to the girls a few days a ago. I asked Chloe if she made sure not to grow at all so I wouldn't have to push anymore weight this year. She looked at me and said, "Mommy that's sarcasm."

Ah maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment