Saturday, July 18, 2009

Single Parenting

Having started this blog it has made me curious about what other people write in theirs. So from time to time I do a little searching on the topics that I write to see what other people are writing. Last night I read about the topic of single parenting. While I don't really like that label and try not to connect myself. However, I have become rather attached to the song by Clem Snide lately with the line, "When we become what we're running from." So in an effort to be more accepting of myself- it is what I am. I read quite a few blogs on the topic. Some people came to this life style by choice, some as a result of death, but most were similar to me- divorce.

I think the similarity in every ones was about how hard it is and how tired you get. I was thinking about that this morning while I ran a 6 with the girls. There is this hill along the route for 6. The funny thing about this hill is that I have run it hundreds of times alone and never gave it much thought. But when I run it with pushing them in the jogger it is a beast. I am breathing hard and my pulse rate is really high. I dread it coming and feel weak when it is over. I think that is what being a single parent is like for me. Everything that you don't even give a second thought to doing by yourself becomes five times harder.



  • grocery shopping

  • running out to grab milk/bread

  • getting to work (that is a three hours just to get everyone up, dressed, and dropped off)

  • mowing the lawn

  • shoveling the drive

  • dropping the car off for repairs (that was this week, we walked the mile and a half home and back)

  • dating (we won't even go there)

  • clothes shopping (can't remember the last time I tried anything on before buying it)

  • house cleaning (it never ends!)

  • laundry (I think it multiplies)

  • having to go to the bathroom while your out some where (drag them in too)

  • using the computer (Alexa on my lap as we speak)

I could keep going but you get the point. You get use to it. You plan. You pack. You organize and accept that it will be like this for a while. The good out weighs the tough. The laughs out weigh the tantrums (thank goodness) and you learn. As they get older it is getting easier. In another ten years they can stay home while I run and do a quick errand.


Just to prove my point here they are swinging all by themselves yesterday while I cook dinner. That was not the case last year. I already look at that development with a little sadness.



No comments:

Post a Comment