Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Office Seating

I am 37 years old. I have spent the last 18 years sitting in this chair when ever I have "office" work to do.
This chair came into my life via my ex-husband. He "found" it on a loading dock of a former employer (we shall withhold that name to protect those that accidentally left it off the truck and then came to own it). We always called the chair "Grandpa". Grandpa has character squeaky wheels and the original, now rusty, metal screw to adjust it. Not that the adjustment actually works, but it is the original. This chair has been moved from Maine to Massachusetts to Colorado to New Mexico to Vermont. Sweet huh? It might surprise you to know then that I hate this chair.


I tried to recover it about ten years ago to feel better about it but as is often the case in such situations superficial changes do little to change our real feelings. My problem? It is the most uncomfortable chair ever! Part of the bottom is broken and it lunges back and slopes to the left. I have to remember to warn people before they sit in it. If I forget they flail their arms of their heads and get a rather panicy look on their faces (I'll admit that is kinda funny). You always feel like you are going to be dumped out of it. I use to tolerate it because I did not sit in it for long periods of time. However since I have new computer I find that I can get more done at home and quite frankly my back was starting to rebel.

So, I decided it was time to purchase a comfortable office chair. I wasn't looking for anything overly luxurious. Just something functional, not hideous to look at, and relatively inexpensive. I picked one out a Staples. I was surprised that no less than two employees tried to sell me the extra warranty coverage on the chair. "In the event that the parts do not hold up."


"Like what parts?" I asked.


"Well, the manufacturer's warranty only cover the basics like the wheels."


"What else is there on a chair?"


"Well, the seams could rip, or you could poke a whole in it and we would cover the replacement."

"I think I am all set."

"Are you sure?"

"It's a chair, but if it makes you feel better I will remember you did your best to warn me."

The sale moved ahead with out any more dire warnings and I happily arrived home with my box. I excitedly opened it and discovered I had some work to do.




But the title on the directions seemed hopeful.



Even using some humor which I can always appreciate.





And look! Another complimentary Allen Wretch.


Soon I will need a bigger tool box for all these little lovelies. Just think all my office furniture is now held together with funny little screws that require there own personal little assembly device. If I ever move I hope the movers appreciate that I am dutifully keeping all these. Of course I will have to warn them to be extra careful with the chair as I didn't buy the extra warranty.

You will be so happy to know that I did successfully assemble the chair. Ta DA!



It is called the Culley Luxuria Manager Chair. That's right people. I am now in the manager's chair. I feel more important already.


And what of Grandpa? Well, don't worry he is off to my ex-husband's house. It is best to keep him in the family. You know I am not totally heartless to the little bugger.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, well done. Well done, indeed.

    Ignore Michael's plea for Grandpa. Everytime I sat in it and freaked out because I was falling over backwards, I thought, "I hate this chair. Why does she still own this chair?"

    I'd say the Luxuria Manager is a great improvement, even if its name is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your Ex does not want it and you do not bring it here I will cut you! (out of staying at the house) I love that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I always hated Grandpa but agree he has lots of character. As you were amused I was one of those flailing people(: I learned to sit in him very carefully and towards the front, with my body tensed. It was a great isometric exercise. I love the new chair. does he/she have a name yet? lets have a contest in naming him/her?

    ReplyDelete