Friday, July 3, 2009

Adventures in Rock Climbing

One of my favorite pastimes when I am at the beach is to work my way along the shore climbing over the rocks as I go. Maine is known, of course, for its rocky coast line and Cranberry Island is no different. I spent my childhood climbing along these shores. Today the girls and I wandered our way along the beach climbing and investigating as we went. Chloe loves it because we come across tide pools and it is fun to see what the ocean leaves behind on its way out. I was thrilled to get to do something I love and they were having fun too.

I was amazed at how well they did. I actually had to tell them we needed to turn around because I knew they would wear themselves down and not have energy from the way back. Since it was just the three of us I have no way of giving two people piggy back rides all the way home.

We collected some wonderful shells. I took some great pictures that I will put up when we return. Each grouping of rocks we climbed over Alexa would pause, look out over the ocean, and say, "Look at that beautiful view." I was grateful that my flip flops held out since I was not planning on rock climbing when we headed out. All I could picture was me trying to walk back over the barnacles bare foot. Ouch.

Both nights they have been so exhausted by all their outdoor activity; they seem to fall right into bed after dinner and a bath. Tonight I took the dog out after tucking them in- too foggy for a run not sure people can see me. I took Cabbie and went down to the beach. He was so excited to get to the water I let him off leash to see what he would do. I was amazed to see him running along the water's edge and diving at the waves! That water is cold people it numbed my feet in 40 seconds. I could not believe that my wimpy rescue dog from Texas raced up and down that shore diving in it. He was a riot. I had to run along the beach just to keep him in view. he should sleep well tonight too!

No comments:

Post a Comment