Sunday, August 16, 2009

Birthday Parties

I believe one of the great reasons that we have two parents is to balance off each other. One parent probably likes or enjoys something the other does not. This is where I come to admit that I dislike kid's birthday parties. I know it seems really grumpy to say out loud, but it is true. They drive me nuts. Please understand I give my children parties. I just see it as a chore. A big ugly chore like cleaning out the basement or organizing files.

My ex-husband on the other hand loves kids birthday parties. Kids see him as I giant jungle gym. Something to sit on and hang from. Needless to say I usually pawn the job of taking the girls to birthday parties off on him. In an even swap I promise to take them shopping for training bras when the time comes. I figure it is an even trade as he is woefully unqualified for the latter.
The girls were invited to a party today. It was hosted by one of my co-workers. Therefore I kinda had to be the one to go. They are always so good about coming to my girl's parties. So we all got dressed up, even me.




Alexa took my picture since I was taking theirs.

This was the first time the girls had ever been to a party where there was a pinata. This poor Unicorn quickly become headless.




Alexa was so unsure about the whole pinata things. She is very reserved when people first meet her. She is especially shy with men and Caroline's (birthday girl) dad is very tall, heavy set, and bearded.

They also hired a magician to come. Chloe was absolutely captivated by him.



Chloe assisting with the magic show.

He also made balloon animals. Let me just pause here and mention that I hate balloons. Hate the smell and loath the squeaky noise they make. For me just to blow up balloons for my kids parties is a major overcoming. The task of sitting there while the man made balloon animals...nine of them... drove me nuts. I noticed at one point my hand was clenched into a fist the noise was bugging me so much. They could not picked a more torturous event for me... and I have had to sit through a Zachary's Pizza birthday too!
I am so not up for the next party chaparone.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Chloe's birthday isn't that far off. Why do I feel that she'd just love a balloon animal kit? It seems so right, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karma is not fun to play with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max and I somehow snake our way out of throwing parties for our kids. We figure they are very over rated. Just don't have a party--problem solved! :) I'm so there for you.

    funny about the balloons. I can see why they'd bug you. I don't like the noise of fork and knife being scraped together or someone biting their fork. ahhh.

    ReplyDelete