Monday, August 17, 2009

Grown Up Dinner

The girls and I have been having a wonderful visit with Grammie Sharon. They headed off this afternoon to have a sleep over at their dad's house. Grammie kindly decided that she wanted to take me out to dinner. This was a wonderful offer as I rarely eat out and the chance to eat in a "grown up" restaurant sounded like a wonderful luxury to me.

I got to pick the restaurant and opted for Parima. A wonderful Thai restaurant that I haven't been to in probably eight years. A place that I would not get to go with my children as it does not offer cheese quesadillas or macaroni and cheese. It was extremely hot and humid here today and after the walk downtown it was deliciously cool in the restaurant.

I realized as we walked in that, due to the heat today, I hadn't had much of an appetite. Smelling the food scent made me notice how hungry I was. Sharon decided we should order a couple of appetizers. We chose some spring rolls and dumplings. The spring roll plate contained two rolls and the dumpling four (small) ones. It took the edge off the hunger, but I was definitely eager for the main course. I had ordered a salmon roll with caper sauce. It arrived and I paused to look at my plate. It contained eight medium leaves of Romain lettuce, a five inch by one inch piece of salmon, and a half a cup of noodles, plus a dish of sauce. Now I know I am not a large person, but let me assure you- I like to eat. This was not much food. I had also envisioned it coming all put together. Some how when I have to put my food together it kind feels like I might as well have cooked it myself. It also leads me to wonder why I have to keep ordering things in my life that come to me needing to be put together.


The restaurant is small, and soon after we arrived a three piece jazz band began to unpack and warm up. It became obvious that the band was going to over power the small restaurant. The comedy of the plate containing eight leaves of lettuce that I was suppose to assemble and roll into my dinner along with the jazz band warming up cancelling out all conversation made me start to laugh.

We followed up our dinner with a trip around the corner to Ben and Jerry's. Where I filled myself up on a waffle cone of Phish food, that I believe was the same size as my plate of dinner. It was a yummy treat on a hot summer day.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of disassembled food either. I pay a chef to prep the food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a an article right out of a food magazine. Girl, you can write!

    Glad you got ice cream to make up for the small amount of rabbit food.

    ReplyDelete