Thursday, August 6, 2009

Beach Day

The Atlantic Ocean, well to be specific the Northern Atlantic Ocean, is cold. Numbingly cold. I, myself, have not actually swam in it in probably over a decade. I use to, but I can not tolerate it any longer. I'll wade in it, but that is about all I can muster. In fact wading in it can only happen for about 45 seconds and then the cold makes my joints ache. I have not brought a bathing suit to the Island with me in years. I know I wont need it. It is really a bit of a public service to the residents of the island that they don't need to view me in a swim suit. My kids, however, always have theirs.

It isn't so much that they are going to swim either. They are more of the beach combers- finding treasures, and sand diggers. The beach on the island is very rocky, but there are sections of sand that pop up from time to time. We like to wader around to an area that is more pebbly than others. The kids can dig in it and I can sit and watch to boats go by.


Today we were lucky enough to find some small sections of sand mixed in that had been exposed by a recent storm. It may well be closed over the next time we visit. We left with another huge collection of shells to add to out already large pile at home.



Aunt Andrea joined us and actually swam in the water. I took the photo just so she had evidence that she did it. She is the crazy woman waving her arms in celebration out in the water- either that or she was asking for help. It was bit breezy and hard to hear well.



I will explain that she had to sit in the sun after and warm her legs up as after a short period her knees had become difficult to bend! She is braver than I however because I went in only as far as my ankles.

No comments:

Post a Comment