Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ladies Aid Fair

One of my favorite childhood memories of Cranberry Island is the Ladies Aid Fair. The fair involves the selling of a lot of crafts, food, and quilts. It is a fundraiser for the Ladies Aid which has been a part of this island for over 100 years. My memories are of the kids games. I remember them being awesome and my sister's and I winning all kinds of prizes. As an adult I can see that that isn't really the case. I still love to allow my children to experience the fair. They look forward to it each summer. It is one of their top favorite things to do on the island: a ride on Uncle Louis's boat, the beach, blueberry picking, and the fair. Yesterday was the boat ride,


and today was the fair. My sister Cherie brought my niece Annabel and all three girls headed to the fair.

They hit the fish pond first. This game I remember from my own childhood. The child pays one dollar and writes their name and age on a slip of paper. The paper is clipped to a mesh bag on the end of a wooden "fishing pole". The bag is then thrown over a curtain (I think they are still using the same curtain they did when I was a kid). A person behind the curtain fills it with toys. It is an obvious big hit with all the kids. Chloe went through twice. Stocking up on such things as rubber ducks, colored pencils, jump ropes, and play dough.

They also have craft projects. This year the girls made wind spinners. They both worked so hard coloring theirs and were so proud!


Another big hit is the fire truck rides. The island is really small and thus operates on a volunteer fireman system. They have one truck and each year they bring it out and give the kids rides up and down the island on it. Keeping in mind this is a very small island and the truck is moving very slowly. This year Chloe opted not to ride the fire truck to pick blueberries with Aunt Cherie instead. She wanted to make sure Grammie could make muffins for breakfast. Alexa, however, was very excited about riding the fire truck! She waved to people and giggled. She looked like she was riding in a parade.

1 comment:

  1. Man, makes me want to raise my children in a small town. What fun!

    ReplyDelete