Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Cup of Tea

I have been reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. I am really enjoying it. It is a wonderfully powerful reminder of how one ordinary person can make a huge difference in this world. As a teacher, I am also blown away by children and communities who will sacrifice everything and work amazingly hard for the chance for their children to receive an education. I have seen so many children in this country that care so little for the opportunities that they have. It is inspiring to see other places where that is not the case.

I was reading last night and came upon this story that was told to the Greg Mortenson about Balti custom. I love to read about real people and real experiences. The wide variety of religions and customs in this world fascinate me to no end. So I wanted to share it here. I believe we can all learn a lot about life from all kinds of people. This story focuses on the small, isolated, villages in the mountains of Pakistan and the Muslim religion. Neither of which I know much about and I have been finding them fascinating.

When the porcelain bowls of scalding butter tea steamed in their hands, Haji Ali spoke. "If you want to thrive in Balistan you must respect our ways," Haji said, blowing on his bowl. "The first time you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger. The second time you take tea you are an honored guest. The third time you share a cup of tea, you become family, and for our family, we are prepared to do anything, even die," he said, laying his hand warmly on Morenson's own. "Dr. Greg, you must take time to share three cups of tea."  

I read this passage several times. I love it. What an amazing way to live. It is the sweetest, most simple idea; share what you have, take time to get to know one another, and slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment