Saturday, May 15, 2010

Birthday Number 38

I can definitely say that 38 is one of those ages that I never pictured being. You know when you are a kid and you plan out your life? I am going to graduate from college at 22. Get married and have kids... and then it kind of stops. You never plan farther than that. Well, at least I never did. So I never really thought about 38. Which is nice I guess, I have no expectations. It will be what it is. I have some thoughts though. If the powers that be could direct a few things my way it would be nice. Nothing too fancy really. My doctor would like me to reduce my stress level. Apparently I am wreaking havoc with certain body systems with my current methods of suppression. Since her plans involve no coffee or chocolate and a string of rather dull foods... I am thinking something rather drastic will need to happen on that end before I die of sheer misery. So a less stressful year would be nice. A few open ended questions that keep looming around about my actual job assignment and classroom location for the future, if those could get answered that would be helpful too. If I could be with the nice people too that would go a long way on helping the stress level. Basically I want a low stress year surrounded by love and laughter. That isn't too much to ask for is it? I think number 38 is up to that challenge. What with it being a nice even number and all.

My birthday itself has been quite lovely. Today I covered lots of exciting tasks like bill paying, laundry, grocery shopping, and cleaning the floors. I had my usual 9:30AM phone call from my sister Andrea. She is slipping a bit. It is usually 9:20 given that is the time she was born. She likes to give me a briefing of what the first 3 minutes of the new year are like until I join her. It is tradition. It is more tolerable than the years I lived in New Mexico and she would call me at 6:20 AM to account for the time zones. I really enjoyed all the messages from friends and family today.

Yesterday arrived to work to find my desk piled with cards the kids had made me. About 20 former students walked into my room carrying a cake and cookies they had made and singing "Happy Birthday". My co- workers brought me a yummy cake to have during our meeting and gave me a beautiful hanging plant and new quiche dish. All this for someone who usually likes to slide under the radar where these things are concerned.

Today there are my little cake decorators. Here they are hard at work decorating this year's cake.













It was a wonderful day. I thank each of you that took the time to think of me with your notes, texts, and calls. I am truly grateful to have you all in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment