Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Un-Valentines

I dislike Valentines Day. We have been through this before so there really isn't a need to get into the whys of this fact. I do try, however, to approach this holiday with at least fake enthusiasm. So last week while I was picking up picture frames at Micheal's I spotted Valentines Day stuff and thought, "You know I should get this now before it is all sold out." My kids like to make their class Valentines. I purchased some blank heart shaped cards and bought a bucket of foam heart stickers for them to decorate. I figured the head start would allow for them to make them as they wanted to over the next few weeks. Making the whole process more enjoyable since I don't have to hover over them pushing them on... "Come on just 8 more there are still more names on your list."

I am also still remembering having to rush the dog to the vet last year after he climbed onto the table opened the plastic containers (that were also taped together for added safety) and ate the chocolates intended for Alexa's preschool class. Nothing says an enjoyable holiday like a $300 vet bill to get the dog's stomach pumped. At any rate this year I opted for Valentine pencils for the kids to give out.  I feel fairly certain the dog will not eat them... well moderately certain that he doesn't need his stomach pumped if he does.

Alexa was overjoyed with the sight of Valentines last weekend and happily decorated all of hers.

Cute huh? I tucked them away for the coming weeks so that we could address them when the teacher sent home the list of names. Now imagine my surprise when she arrived home yesterday with a newsletter indicated that they would be celebrating "Friendship Day" instead. Could I please send in a treat for the whole class instead of individual items as not all the kids can participate. You see why I hate this holiday so much? Anyone got any ideas of how to make 24 cards and pencils into a group friendship gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment