Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pooh Bear

So I missed a day. Remember my goal to post something each day... even if it was just a photo. Well I missed last night. Sorry about that. I actually went out with friends for dinner. So I will catch us up and post two today. Really I am just avoiding the pile of grading I need to do since the grading quarter closed yesterday.

Alexa and I have been reading a chapter book just for her at bedtime while Chloe gets her shower. Chloe said she didn't want to hear it, although she has joined us the last few nights and laughed rather heartily at some of the parts. We have been reading the new Winnie the Pooh book that came out in 2009.


Obviously this is not written by the original pooh author A.A. Milne. It is written by David Benedictus who writes a wonderfully humble dedication and humorous exposition at the beginning of the book as he tries to pick up more or less where A.A. Milne left off. Eeyore points out the "He'll get it wrong see if he doesn't. What does he know about donkeys?" And Benedictus admits, "Of course Eeyore is right, because I don't know; I can only guess." I liked that, and the book seems to be written with the approval of the estates of the original author and illustrator. We have enjoyed the story immensely and now Alexa wants to have a Winnie the Pooh themed birthday. She also came home with her own version of  Pooh she drew in school the other day.

Any book that makes her think about it during the day is a mark of a well enjoyed adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment