Monday, October 5, 2009

October

I use to really miss fall when I lived in New Mexico. I use to find myself moderately depressed. My mind needed that season change. The crisp nights and falling leaves. For my own personal reasons October has become symbolic for me. I mark it and reflect. I was asked today if I was running the Green Mountain Marathon this weekend. I wont be. I made my peace with that a few months ago when it become obvious to me that I just wouldn't get the training in.


I have run that race for the last two years. I does make me a little sad not to run it this year. However that race had a bigger purpose for me than just finishing a marathon. I watched that race run three years ago. At the time I watched it I wondered if I would ever get to run one again. That day was part of the longest and most painful 24 hours in my life. I ran the race the following year as proof to myself that I could face it. So that I wouldn't avoid events or places because of a negative connection. As a result I have come to love that race with its remote roads, beautiful lake views, and even made peace with the head winds.


Here are my October girls pictured here from three years ago.

I love this picture. It is my marker for how far we have come together. It is good for me to remember that because sometimes... sometimes there are head winds.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not at all sad that I'm not running a marathon. But I still miss fall...

    ReplyDelete