Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ode to the Rice Krispie Treat

About six months ago I started getting this Parenting magazine in the mail. It is called Parenting the Elementary Years... or something like that. At first I though t it was just a free sample designed to make me order it. However, it showed up again the next month and the next. I have been getting on for about six months straight. It has become my running question to my family, which one of you thought I needed the parenting magazine? Because it is pretty good. I mean I wouldn't PAY for it, but it is entertaining reading at bedtime. None of them have owned up to it. Friday night I was reading it and came across this recipe using Rice Krispie treats. I should back up and tell you that two Thanksgivings ago I was visiting my friend Jason in Philly. We were waiting for things to cook and then digesting afterwards and we must have watched about ten episodes of The Cake Boss. This was the first (and only) time I have ever watched the show. I don't have cable or satellite dish and since my one and only TV is about twelve inches across I rarely watch anything. At any rate I was fascinated by the cakes that this guy could put together. It was amazing. I was even more amazed to learn that a lot of the shapes were Rice Krispie treats. The guy built and airplane out of them! I was extremely impressed. I have always thought of Rice Krispie Treats as a fixture at school bake sales not suitable for much more than thier rectangular shape stuffed in a zip lock baggie. So when I came across the recipe this weekend. I though I am so doing this, the kids will love it. So today I made these...











Cute huh? They were amazingly easy. I learned that the treats stay soft for quite a while so you can shape them into the balls. Which is handy because otherwise things would have the pesky charred flesh taste. I had a couple extra so I made two look like ice cream sundaes. The kids were pretty excited and I may be making these to send in to school on birthdays instead of cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment