Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Seeds of Spring

It looks like this outside today.


No kidding. The sad part is that it started as rain and changed to this around 10AM. They tell me that we are getting over a foot, possibly 18 inches, of very heavy wet snow. It is all rather depressing. So the girls and I did what anyone would do on a Sunday afternoon in a snow storm, we went to the gardening store to buy seeds.

Nothing makes you feel like warmer weather is a possibility like picking out plants for the garden.

Chloe is planting some flowers early.
She has decided that she is going to, "Cross germinate two kinds of flowers and make my own new flower." I have no idea how she got this idea. Nor do I really know how one goes about this type of thing. But like many of Chloe's ideas it will be a learning experience for us all.

Alexa focused on vegetables.
Now not everything will get stated early. She started her tomatoes (cherry and regular this year). She also decided that she wanted to plant watermelon.
I have no idea how they will grow up here, but we have enough planted to run our own stand at the Farmer's market. I mentioned that we could be up to our eyeballs in watermelon if all these plants come up and produce. Chloe suggested that if we have lots of extra that we should take them to the food shelf down the street. Alexa loved this idea. I love that they thought of that all by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment