Sunday, June 27, 2010

Gone to the Birds

So I learned something new about myself today. Turns out I find birds rather entertaining. See I have spent the majority of my day plopped in my backyard reading. I contemplated doing something more productive but then I figured why? Because, quite frankly people, I have spent an entire school year of more productive and I am burnt out. So I took the day of me, and aside from the neighbors dog being mildly annoying with some incessant barking at squirrels; it has been rather peaceful I must say.

I noticed something in all my outside quiet time. Birds are extremely humorous little buggers. It shocks me to say this, and if you know me well it would seem out of character for me to say. My usual reaction to birds is something along the line of, "Uh huh, that's nice, and that thing better not come with in 10 feet of me."  They generally freak me out a bit. I don't mind them outside, but I don't want them around me. So I have never really taken to the idea of bird watching. Don't get me wrong, I still don't ever see myself stalking through the woods with a pair of binoculars and a notebook scribbling down varieties of the feathery little guys. I have no desire to buy a book to identify one bird from the other. I prefer names like: the small brown one, the big red one, and the large blue one. I kind of filter the real names out of my head out along with names of songs, music groups, and certain sports teams. I mean who can keep all this stuff straight?

So I was rather intrigued to find that they seem to have kind of funny habits. They seem to swing between chasing one another through the yard to land in different trees and yell at one another to huddling all together on the fence,


and fighting over the bird feeder.


Really they were a lot like some people I know. I couldn't seem to tell what triggered them fighting with each other and what ended it. I would like for the little buggers to take some ownership over the mess they cause though. Look at this...

I mean isn't it enough that I have agreed to let the kids get a feeder and buy the seed? Can they get down there and clean up what they are dumping all over during their squabbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment