Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I have posted quite a few things today to this blog. More than I usually do. I am hoping you will bear with me for one more. There are some things that have been on my mind today. Since it is Father's Day. My father died in 1997. In August it will be 13 years ago. I was 25. That is a lot of my adult life that he never got to see, and I never got to share. I think about it sometimes. I wonder what my dad would say about some of the things I have done, and if he would be proud.

I didn't have one of those dad's that said, "I love you" a lot. In fact in my entire life I can only remember hearing it one time, and I drove home that weekend to check and make everything was OK. Sure that some tragedy must be coming for him to say that. Looking back though I know he did. Every single trip I took home I would be ready to leave, look out at my car, and the hood would be up. He would be checking my oil, tires, belts, spark plugs, and anything else that could be checked. I mean every time. As a 19 year old kid, it drove me nuts. He would do it right as I was trying to leave. Now I get it, then I really didn't.

He taught me a lot, my dad. He taught me to be responsible and to remember where you come from. He taught me that you don't need to be the center of attention. The side lines are just fine. He showed me to work hard, to live within your means, and to enjoy a hike in the woods.

He also showed me how to bait a hook, cast a line, gut a fish, shoot a gun, dress a deer, and to identify the poop of a variety of different animals. None of these are talents I actually use, but I am just saying he taught me (or at least tried to, not sure how good a student I was). And you know, in a pinch, with the economy the way it is; it is good to have options.

He tried to teach me how to fix my car too. I never really paid enough attention here. I am sorry to say. In all the hours I stood over an engine or laid on the ground under a car holding a flashlight all I really picked up was a fear of the line, "Here hold this light for a minute for me." Because I knew it was going to be at least 30 minutes. I think I picked up enough vocabulary, though, to at least know if a mechanic is talking about a part in a car. He tried though, my dad.

He taught me to root for the underdog and look out for the little guy. He taught me that actions speak louder than words. I get that now. Probably more than he ever intended me too.

My dad never met Chloe and Alexa. I wish he had because I know he would have enjoyed them as much as they would have him. I like to think he knows them though. I like to think he is around.

So happy Father's Day, Dad. I hope I made you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment