Monday, February 28, 2011

Lonely Lexa

Chloe has her first sleep over tonight at a friend's house. She has had lots of playdates up until this point, but I felt she was a little young for a sleep over. I would probably still be saying that if the calendar and kind people hadn't intervened. I have to go back to work tomorrow, but Chloe's school is scheduled for an inservice day (teachers go but not kids). It is a pain when these things happen, and it is one of the times that I wish I lived closer to family. Nothing says daycare in a pinch like being able to drop your kids for the day with their grandmother or aunt. I was down to thinking that Chloe would have to go to work with me tomorrow. A plan that she was pretty excited about, but I was not sure it would work too well. As fate would have it I talked to a fellow working mom last week. The parent of one of Chloe's friends who also happens to have a child in preschool with Alexa. We have gotten to know one another fairly well over the years at birthday parties, girl scouts, open houses, and concerts. She offered to let Chloe come play on Tuesday while I was at work. I thought this sounded great to me and called her this weekend to make sure it would still work. She is a teacher as well (although her district is still off tomorrow). I wanted to be sure that she was OK with the early hour that I would need to drop Chloe off. It was at this point that she said they were wondering if Chloe would like to have a sleepover and that way she wouldn't have to get up early. I ran it by Chloe and she was over joyed at the idea. She was packing her bag, pillow, and sleeping bag first thing this morning.

Alexa on the other hand was less excited. There was the initial grumpiness about Chloe going to play while she was at preschool. Then she moved on to sadness about not wanting Chloe to leave. We tried to make the best of it. After dropping Chloe off this evening we stopped by City Market. I told her that she could pick out whatever she wanted for dinner. She created quite a feast.


We of course made sure to have dessert. Her favorite strawberry ice cream, topped off with a chocolate chip cookie, and chocolate ball on top.


She got a nice long bubble bath before bed.


Cabbie tried to fill in as a playmate.

She was still sad about missing Chloe as she went off to sleep, but too tired to complain for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment