Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vacation Day Two

I approached the start of my day by reading through the 7 Days while munching my cereal determined to find something to explore today. I had in my mind wandering through a nice art gallery. I read through the list of new openings. There were lots of things outside the city, but I really wanted something I could walk to. I spend every work day commuting. I was picturing my "vacation" as a chance to rediscover the city I explored over ten years ago when I decided to move here. There was a rather unusual exhibit that is listed as "copper forged structures inspired by human veins." I wasn't really sure I was up to exploring that so I settled on an exhibit at the Amy Tarrant Gallery by Vermont Artists with Disabilities. It is one of those places that I had passed by before but never taken the time to go inside. When I got there I learned that they were only open on Saturdays. This could be one of many reason I had never been inside but perhaps this Saturday I will wander my way back down there.

Left without a destination I defaulted to wandering around and looking at public art. I stopped to read historic signs that I would normally not pay much attention to. I came upon this one:

I found this sign profoundly sad. the knowledge that the downtown area exists because we demolished a neighborhood of 140 people seems very sad to me. I passed one of the more bizarre public art displays.


I have never been able to figure out what the reason is for this being here. The first time you see it you hope you are not seeing what you think you are. And you aren't. Except for maybe you are.

When you wander further down the path you come to these:


I can't figure them out either. If you head down the steps you see some interesting links on the steps that fit together from the bottom angle.

But I still didn't see anything that explained the rather odd collecting of marble at the top of the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment