Sunday, December 20, 2009

Signs You May be in the Wrong Climate

I have told the story before of how I came to own a dog. A rescue dog from Texas, living here in Vermont. He shivers pitifully and wears a sweater or coat or sometimes both outside from October to May. This week we hit temperatures down to zero and below with the wind chill factor. This combined with the few inches of snow we have on the ground cause Cabbie even bigger problems.

The pads of his feet freeze. He is literally hobbled by it. He will limp his way back in the house on three legs whimpering and yelping in pain after only a few minutes. So I made an investment for him the weekend ...doggie boots.

Now the package directions congratulate me on my investment and tell me I am about to make my four legged friend very happy. They also say the initial awkwardness will soon disappear and will feel very comfortable. After I get them on him I am suppose to simply throw a ball and let him forget that they are even on. I put them on, and he looks tortured. He was in no way interested in ball or toy of any kind.




I carried him outside and plopped him in the snow so he could fully appreciate how much better it would feel.




I don't think he bought it. Since it took quite awhile to coax him to walk up the stairs even with the prompise of a goodie.




I am planning on continuing with my efforts and "letting my pet walk around with them on for short periods and providing a 'good dog' reward," as they suggest. We shall see how it goes.

We are tryign to fully get into the holiday spirit around here, so as you can see the indignities just continue.

1 comment:

  1. Poor, poor Cabbie! That has to be torture for that little guy. Very nice of you to get him boots. I hope they work.

    ReplyDelete