Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Christmas Wandering

So we have been off for almost a week now visiting family for Christmas. We have had numerous adventures. All of which I have jotted down and photographed to bore you with over the coming days. We were visiting Grammie Eva on Cranberry Island. It is important for my sanity that I make a trek to the ocean several times a year. I am drawn to the ocean, and it is not the least bit fair that I have been trapped quite some distance from it (sometimes several thousand and sometimes several hundred miles) for about fourteen years now. When I was living in New Mexico I developed a love for reading Barbara Kingsolver. She is a Kentucky native who relocated to Tucson, Arizona. One of my favorite quotes of hers is, "A body gets use to living in a desert, but your soul gets thirsty." I love that line because I have such a strong connection to it. So I am drawn back to the ocean because my soul gets thirsty.


See? Doesn't that feel better?



The weather was a bit touchy while we were there, but we did have one really nice day for beach exploration. Yes, I dress my children in snow suits to play on the beach. They don't mind one bit.

I also was able to fill my seafood deficit. Lobsters for Christmas dinner also meant lobster stew the next day, and shrimp the following. So now I am all stocked up for a few more months.

I plopped all the lobsters out on the floor prior to cooking them. It is just part of the wackiness that is my family that the kids and dogs get to play with the little buggers before we eat them. It makes for good a family bonding.

2 comments:

  1. At least the lobsters had some freedom before they hit the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting in touch with your food. Brilliant.

    My soul gets thirsty for beautiful green scenery. Looking at those gorgeous beach shots, I might develop another kind of thirst. I'm glad you got to feed your soul.

    ReplyDelete