Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Thanks

It is important on this day of thanks to really think about what we have to be thankful for. In the middle of a conversation with Alexa last weekend, where she was listing for me more toys she wanted. I found myself saying, "Why is it no matter what you have you always want something that you don't have?" And as I said those words, I thought, we all do this. I do this. I am doing it right now even as I am telling her not to. I think of things I have lost and things I want and forget to be grateful for all that I have in my life now. So here it is. My list of what I am thankful for this year.
  • My children. They never cease to amaze me with their honesty and innocence in life. My will and my drive comes from the deepest love for them and has been there ever since I knew they existed.
  • My health. As a chronic hypochondriac and worrier I am thankful for the fact that my physical woes are largely in my head.
  • My family. The people who know me best and continue to offer me support and laughter at the points when I need it most.
  • A house to live in.
  • Wonderful neighbors that help me on a regular basis.
  • A job that, on most days, I really enjoy doing that gives me the chance to try to put a little more good out into the world.
  • Friends who truly are able to laugh and listen. I am truly grateful to be surrounded by happy and positive people.
  • I am thankful that, through experience, I have come to love, let go, and forgive. And that I know for a fact that everything will work out as it was meant to.
  • I am thankful that for every door that closes there has indeed been a window.
  • I am thankful that things between my ex-husband and myself are very polite and civil. Occasionally boarding on friendly.
  • I am thankful that the trash guys drove over in a pick up truck in the snow yesterday to give me a new trash can because someone stole my old one last week. And I am thankful that the new one is WAY better than the old one.
  • I am thankful for the food that I can eat.
  •  A savings account.
  • I am thankful that while I do not get to see everyone for Thanksgiving, we will all be together this year for Christmas.
  • Health and dental insurance
  • Enough money to pay the bills and treat myself to fun things every now and then.
  • That for today, the dog hasn't eaten anything he wasn't suppose to.
  • I am thankful that I can give my daughter a birthday party.
  • I am thankful that the kids are doing well in school.
  • I am thankful for each night that turns into a morning.
  • I am thankful that I am getting better at protecting myself and (as my sister says), "Not picking at scabs on my heart." Some things need to be left alone to heal. 
  • I am thankful that the woman who walked by me on my way into the store yesterday yelling about farm animals and the greed of the government just kept on walking because I was in way to peaceful of a mood to try to take that in.
  • I am thankful that I made to the library before they closed for the holiday.
  • I am thankful that my car is still running (knock on wood).
  • I am thankful for the Internet and Skype which lets me see my family even if I can not be with them.
  • I am thankful for such a fun 5K to run today. What a wonderful cause (benefiting the food shelf) and excellent energy from racers and organizers alike.
  • I am thankful that honesty, compassion, and kindness always come back around when you least expect it.
Lastly, I am thankful that Alexa drew this picture for the school art box, but then decided he was too cute and wanted to keep him. Because that means that I now get to hang him up, and I just think he is the cutest turkey ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment