Monday, August 1, 2011

Rodents

I am not a fan of rodents. By that I mean I can't stand them. They have been know to send me shrieking in horror as I race to get away from them. So it with some sense of irony that I tell you about a new rodent that I have allowed to enter my house willingly. Meet Whitey.
Chloe's new pet guinea pig. She decided some time ago that she wanted to save up her money to buy a guinea pig. To be fair I though the odds were good that she would give up the idea. Especially when we went to the pet store and discovered that they cost $35.00. Chloe has a hard time not spending money. She spends her allowance constantly by wasting fifty cents here a dollar there. She loves to acquire odd trinkets with no real purpose in mind. So I really though that it was a slim chance that she would have the dedication to save for as long as was needed. Well she proved me wrong. I have to say I am really proud of her. When I decided a few months ago to post a chore chart and connect any money the kids get to the amount of jobs they complete around the house I wasn't sure how it would pan out. I have a strong belief though that kids should learn very early the value of a dollar. It is not a lesson they can learn when constantly pestering adults to buy them things. So I turned off the Mommy fund for all things that they desire and now they have to buy it with their own money. I am starting to see them notice when something costs too much, when something isn't really worth them spending money on it, and the idea of working towards a goal. It has been good.

And now Chloe will add to her responsibilities caring for an animal. I hope to see that bring on its own set of responsibilities too.

No comments:

Post a Comment