Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The never ending cost of home ownership

Owning an old house is always an investment. It becomes particularly cumbersome when one has no real skills to fix things. I always feel at the mercy of repair men (OK they are always men) and carpenters. I hate feeling like an idiot, but lets be real other than putting in clothes, detergent, and turning a knob. I have no idea how a washing machine works. So the fact that I sunk a chunk of money into a washing machine only to have it permanently die a week later was just about par for the course.

So needless to say I am more than a little stressed with this latest venture. My house is in desperate need of a paint job. The paint (due to the age of the house, 1894) is assumed to be lead based (at some level) and needs to be removed by a professional. To add to it there are sections on the existing siding which are rotten and in need of repair. The stress for me is that I have spoken with painters and contractors. I have received advise and prices. So now it is decision time. But how can I be sure that this is not going to be another washing machine.

I wish there was some way to know if some one was being completely honest with you. I mean I know get different quotes and talk to lots of people. But sometimes that really isn't realistic. I mean I am a teacher. I can't spend hours a day calling people and I can't meet you at my house on my lunch break to show them the work. It is crazy. I have had people ask me if they could meet me at 11:00 AM on a Tuesday. It has left me wondering who can meet at 11:00 AM on a Tuesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment