Sunday, April 14, 2013

Daisies

Alexa has wanted to join Girl Scouts for sometime now. Last year I spoke to the leader of the Daisy troop about her joining, gave her my name and number, and waited to hear back. And waited, and waited. No room at the inn. The troop was too full. This year I filled out the registration form online, and check the box that indicated she wanted to participate in a troop. I was told that they would find her a troop, so we waited to hear back. I waited, and waited, and around about November, we finally got the email. No troops available. Now, I know what you are thinking. I thought it too. I could just bite the bullet and volunteer to start a troop for her to join. I did look into it. The very excited representative sent me the link indicating the course work I would have to do to become a leader. Really? Course work? Now, I don't want this to come off as arrogant. But I thought really? Surely you mean that for other people. Not me. I mean I hold a K-6 teaching license and have been a classroom teacher for close to 16 years now. I hold a Master's Degree in Teaching. Can't you just hand me the book and let me wing this one? I think I got it. The Girl Scouts do not wing it. I look at my sad little Lexa face. I looked at her enviously eyeing Chloe's vest gaining badges. I looked at my already over scheduled self. I have maybe 30 minutes of down time a night. I know there is no way I can do this during the school year. Maybe this summer I can complete my Girl Scout Training course. But that still leaves a sad Lexa. So we did some research.

We found a Daisy by Mail program. We signed her up and paid the fee. For the next eight weeks she logs onto a blog and listens to a story, reads about an activity or watches a short video clip, and we do it. At home, when we have a minute. They mailed her a little packet of additional activities. We ordered her a little vest, and she is happily earning her petals. This week was making your own bubble soap and bubble wand. Here she is happily exploring her bubble.


Thank goodness. We didn't even have to sell cookies with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment